The first newspaper in Barry County was the Barry County Pioneer, editor G. A. Smith and first issue was 24 January 1851. This was followed by The Republican Banner in 1856, the Independent in late 1856. This was followed by the Democrat which was changed to the Hastings Home Journal in 1868-69, eventually being called simply the Journal. This was then consolidated with the Hastings Herald and renamed the Journal Hastings in 1911. In 1912, there were weekly papers at Nashville, Freeport, Woodland, Prairieville, Middleville, Delton and Hastings.
Source: History of Barry County, [Michigan] by Hon. W. W. Potter.
Sun Archive Project in coordination with Thornapple Kellogg School and
Newspaper transcriptions project
Return to Barry County MIGenWeb Index Page